Friday, October 28, 2005

Dr. Max Returns and Explains


Hey folks, how are you all doing? Yes it is really me, Dr. Max, not some reposted article from That One Blog’s past. It’s good to be back online again. For those of you who have not given up on the blog after having to reread yet another posting from April, I feel I owe you an explanation.

As many of you know, this is not really a “personal” blog. I don’t reveal too much about myself or my life, it’s focus is mainly on lame attempts at humor. But since my I.P.M. (Important Personal Mission) interrupted the flow of “wit”, I feel I need to come clean. To confess. To perform a “People Magazine” for you, my dear readers.

Dr. Max and his family have just returned from China, where we adopted a beautiful baby girl. Really. No joke (see, this is the problem when you try to get serious on a humor blog. Honest, I have the bloodshot, jet lagged eyes to prove it!) Our daughter has made the transition truly easy by being such a charmer, and even though we first met her only two weeks ago it feels like she has always been a part of our family. This was our second adoption from China, we have a son, now 6, who we adopted in 2000.

My wife and I are now in that wonder/panic state that comes with new parenthood. Wonder at the love that develops so quickly and is so deep that it is the only thing in my life that I can classify as a miracle. Panic with worry that our parenting skills will give her and our son the happy and healthy lives they deserve.

We have friends that have decided not to have kids and we completely respect their decision. I tell them that everything they fear about parenting is true. There is no other more exhausting, chaotic, and frustrating exercise in life than being a mom or dad. It’s just that when you actually become a parent you don’t mind so much. It is a surprising day when you and your spouse find yourself in a deep conversation about he quantity and quality of your baby’s poop and you find you’re enjoying it.

I am not big on advocacy. I figure everyone knows best about their own lives and can make their important decisions for themselves. However, if any of you are contemplating an adoption,foreign or domestic, and you understand the goal is to provide a child love, a home and a family, than go for it. There are so many kids out there who need love. Some people wonder if they will feel an adopted child is their own, from my two experiences, it all becomes a moot point about one second after you hold them for the first time.

As a stay at home parent, Dr. Max will now be knee deep in the daily chores that come along with a 17-month-old and also trying to get a 6-year-old out the door to school. I can tell already that I will not be posting as frequently as I used to, as getting our daughter used to her new life will take priority over blogging. I will shoot for three posts a week, if a day or two goes by with the same entry, just picture the doctor changing a diaper, reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar or investigating who put peanut butter in the remote control. I have no doubt however that our great President and his administration of responsibility will occasionally inspire a post or two more some weeks.

So there you have it, a true confession. That wasn’t so bad. In fact that felt kinda good. I should do this more often, reveal all my personal secrets to the public so I can attract increased traffic and sell ads. Yeah....I could talk about how the Snuggle Fabric Softener Dryer Sheet ads always make me cry or that itchy rash that won’t go away. Oh who am I kidding? After the rash, I got nothin’. I guess it’ll be just more lame humor. Sorry folks.

11 Comments:

Blogger TC Byrd said...

Oh, wow! Congratulations!(And to think while you were away doing this great thing, I was blogging about not being a huge kid enthusiast.)

I enjoyed your "well-seasoned" posts while you were gone, as many of them pre-dated my coming here regularly.

I am thrilled for you and I look forward to this slowly turning into a daddy blog :)

11:19 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Congratulations! Hey, as an aunt, I can appreciate quantity and quality of poop stories, as well as riveting accounts of great moments in childhood development (like discovering "otherness," more commonly known as grasping the concept of lying), and the tao of older siblings, and the science behind erasable crayons....

Wonderful, wonderful -- welcome back!

11:38 PM  
Blogger MacHeadCase said...

WHOOH HOOH! Congrats DrMax to you and your wife! This is so terrific!

Damn I never even was close to guessing this... AHAHAHA

And welcome back!

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Snake said...

That's great news, Doc. I had a strong hunch it was something like this. You may even grow to like a more personal, professional style. Give it a try--now that you've broken the ice. You might be surprised. And welcome back (to steal a line from Mac above)!

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Snake said...

Oops! I made a bit of a typo; what I meant to say (above) is that you may grow to like a more personal, CONFESSIONAL-style blog. (I, for one, would find it interesting to read.)

7:43 AM  
Blogger fallenmonk said...

Welcome back Doc. We will forgive your mission and absence now that we know it was for a good cause. Congratulations on the new curtain climber. Please feel free to personalize your blog a little more. Was this a humor blog? Seriously, we old folks would probably like an occasional daddy story. (Op word there is occasional.) Much liove and good wishes to the new addition to your family.

5:28 PM  
Blogger sideshow bob said...

Congratulations, and bless you! Now put that baby to work; the national debt isn't going to pay itself off!

Sorry to get away from the warm-and -fuzzy tone of the post, but one of my big pet peeves relates to adoption: namely, that people are spending thousands and thousands of dollars to get artifically fertilized, and they are often the same people emploring young pregnant women to choose adoption over abortion. :end of rant:

I'm going to be a stay at home dad too, at least for a little while, and I am so looking forward to it!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Knowing that love does not come from biology, my plan was to adopt rather than have my own. I figure why go through all the pain and suffering of pregnancy and labor when there are so many kids that need adoption. Besides, it would have been nice to get a housetrained one. That's how I pick my dogs. I don't go for the cute little puppies, I go for the older dogs that already know some of the basic rules- you know, something to work with.
BUT- that didn't work out for me. I had one of my own anyway. DAMN NATURE!!

Anyway, congratulations! I hold adoption in high regard. Have fun spending time with your new daughter. And it is nice to have you back!

10:42 AM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I left a comment yesterday. Truly, I did. It was one of those "congratulations, you are truly blessed" types of comments.

10:44 PM  
Blogger peemil said...

Congratulations Doc. I look forward to your posts when you find the time.

5:14 PM  
Blogger DrMax said...

Thanks everyone, for the welcome back and the kind comments. I have really enjoyed reading all your blogs again.

TC, I read you "kids" column and thought once again how great I am with timing. I wish I could tell you mine are always well behaved angels but I'm afraid anyone who has dined in public restaurants the same time we have could provide ample testimony to the contrary. All I can say is we TRY.

Hi Grace. My son has made great strides in the concept of otherness, he now has an actual real smaller person in the house he can shift the blame to. He's getting used to sister idea, but he wants to make sure we don't forget him.

Hi MHC. I tried to give a photo hint, but all Blogger sites are blocked China, and while I could post I couldn't see how small the photo was. It was a photo of the Ruth's Chris Steak House in Hong Kong.

Hey Snake. I guess I could be more personal on the site, I'm sure some Daddy posts will pop up now and then. This will be a new adventure with two. My neck is already sore from all the head swivels back and forth from one child to the other.

Hello Fallenmonk. When I read of all your travels my little jaunt to China seems like nothing. My wife and I are in our mid-40's a time when most families are experiencing their first empty nests. Our later years will not be as quiet, but they should be quite interesting.

Good luck SSB on your stay at home status. Like I said, I would never presume to tell anyone what to do about the most personal matters in their lives. I'm sure, like any issue, there can be political arguments made. But from my experiences with adoption, I find it is simply a mom and dad who want to provide a child who needs it a home and and a lot of love.

Thanks Syl (nice new picture by the way). Trust me, becoming a parent through biology is more fun, cheaper and involves a lot less paperwork. But anyway you become a parent is the "right" way.

Hi Roses, and thanks. We do feel blessed, even with the return of diapers.

Thanks Peemil. As soon as a figure out a schedule and explain it to my 17 month old, I'm sure she'll be willing to give me the time I need to blog. Stay tuned.

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home