Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Thoughts of Summer and Blogs


Hey friends. It’s your old pal Dr. Max. How are you doing?

Really? I was thinking the same thing, where has the summer gone? When I was kid, it seemed like summers lasted forever. A person was always ready for that new grade in school because summer changed you somehow. But friends in Florida tell me that their kids have started school this week. August 9th?? What the? According the NBC Nightly News, school districts want to start earlier so kids don’t forget what they learned the previous year. Look, for most kids all information is dumped once that last bell of the school year rings and sweet freedom begins. You can’t change that, even if you brought them back July 5th. Anyway, it won’t be long before these kids will be working 365 days a year with no health coverage, no pensions and no social security. Is it too much to ask to preserve one last month of vacation for them now?

I have been disgracefully negligent in updating my links list. It's due to my fear of mucking about in That One Blog’s template. Cries of “Danger Will Robinson” usually go up whenever Dr. Max’s ham hands get to altering any of it’s important bits. But I need to acknowledge some great sites so damn the torpedoes, template here I come! If you stop in and see a page filled with strange characters and an upside down picture of the Doctor, at least you’ll know why.

Dr. Max is also adding a visitors counter. This is another thing I’ve been reluctant to do. I’m not really sure I want to know how few people visit this site. The mystery has been kind of nice, I could pretend lots of people stopped by but just didn’t have time to comment. Now the cold hard facts will be staring me in the face daily. Oh well, I guess I could always self-visit to push up the numbers if they’re really bad. Trust me, the Doctor is not above doing something so pathetic, image is everything in the blog biz.

Also, a sincere thanks to everybody who has taken the time to add their comments. I do read them all and appreciate your feedback. I don’t like to comment in my own comment fields (I realize it’s no big deal, most people just use it to carry on friendly conversations with visitors, but I can’t shake the feeling that it’s vaguely unethical). I prefer to return the favor by contributing to your blogs, whether you want my comments or not.

Well it’s been fun chatting. We really don’t do this enough do we? You know how it is with hectic schedules these days. Hmmm hmm, right....right. Anyway I’ve got to skidaddle, let’s say we do this again real soon! (Air kisses)

8 Comments:

Blogger Herge Smith said...

The visitor count is EVIL - it will break you in the end.

Oh yes, it's all fun and games to being with as it lures you in with tails of visitors from far off lands (England for me) and exciting ISP's (I get one from the BBC - but I know who that is now).

But then the fun turns to fear and despair as you watch Mondays hits plummet and you can't work out why... but then they come back up on Wednesday - why?, and then they go back down again on Friday...What the?

Evil I tell you EVIL.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

Monday, people are recovering from the weekend, and Friday, they are getting ready for the weekend. Wednesday- no one has anything else to do on Wednesday. Blogging helps get you over the "hump".

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Debbie said...

I agree about our kids' summers being too short these days. I really don't think it would kill us to let our kids just be kids for a few months out of the year.

On the bright side, my kid's school had so many "in service" days last year that I started to send her to school anyway and just let her mull around the parking lot a bit. There's only so damn much parenting I'm gonna do in a school year, ya know?

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Snake said...

Hey Doc -- Not doin' too bad though I got a few aches and pains; nothing worth complaining about... As for that Florida thing, I see why they're starting school earlier. Kind of makes sense. But if you buy that logic, why have summer break at all? Two weeks should be long enough for everyone to forget everything, don't you think? As for commenting on your own blog--something I've done once or twice--do you really think that's "unethical"? (I hope not cause otherwise I really stepped in it.) On another note, I was surprised to see your new "Cosmic Variance" link for the first time today, given that, just a few hours ago, I spoke with the guy who started it. That seems like weird "cosmic variance" to me, but maybe it's just a coincidence.

8:52 PM  
Blogger OldRoses said...

I wouldn't worry too much about a shortened summer break. Too many camps and other activity types will complain because of the amount of money they will lose. Kids aren't allowed any free time any more. They have to be at a scheduled activity every day. Think of the money involved.

9:22 PM  
Blogger DrMax said...

OK, OK, Let me give this a try....

Herge-Thanks for the counsel. I have already armed myself with predisappointment.

Syl (I've never asked if you like that abbreviation, rather rude on my part now that I think about it)-Thanks for your usual wise insight. From now on I'm going to try harder on my Wednesday posts. Unfortunately it'll be the usual crap for the rest of the week.

Debbie-I hear ya! If my kid thinks his welfare is going to get in the way of me watching my stories, he has another think coming!

Snake-1. Have you tried Icy-Hot? 2. My only fear is that with all their time scheduled, kids will forget the vital art of goofing off 3. You can see how well I stick to my self imposed guidelines. 4. Wow, I'm impressed, you know the physicists who are PHYSICISTS. No lie, my 5 year old watches the Elegant Universe DVD over and over again. If you could get him Brian Greene's autograph.....

Roses (Again with the abbreviations)-If the CEO's of SeaWorld, Universal Studios Parks, and Disney make the contributions expected by the Republicans, all this "early start" foolishness will be outlawed by the end of the week.

1:52 AM  
Blogger MacHeadCase said...

Hello to all! :-)

Well it's sad in a way that kids loose a part of their summer. I was always very happy when summer started, our family used to go to the summer cottage in the country all summer long. It was really close to the Richelieu river and to Saint-Paul-Îles-Aux-Noix. To me it was an occasion to watch the season go by, get close to butterflies, flowers, fish, well you know, nature! I would ride my bike for miles and miles. So if any of them feel close to nature, they might learn to respect it later in life, maybe.

As for the visitor counter, I have set one up too about a week ago. I made it extra discreet 'cause I didn't want to be visually distracted. But like others here have said, you do have the daily hits on your mind, like it or not. I try not to get distracted by it. I used StatCounter. I feel like an FBI agent when I go and check on the hits/visits. I was told you could even block IP addresses in there! Which is freaking me out a little. o_0

7:58 AM  
Blogger MacHeadCase said...

Darn! Forgot to say I really really enjoy your site, DrMax!!!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home