Friday, July 01, 2005

That Damn Donovan Song Keeps Coming Up in Shuffle


Ahh, I think I’ll relax with my iPod mini for a bit. Let’s see, I'll spin the click wheel to the “Shuffle Songs” option and let this little wonder pick my tunes at random. Hmmm, good first choice iPod, the Beatles’ Nowhere Man. And nice transition too, right into Temptation by Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Elvis reminds me of college days...how was I able to drink that much beer? And next....crap, it’s that damn Donovan song, The Sun Is a Very Magic Fellow. I mean, Donovan is OK, but I only downloaded the song for my kid's playlist. And the kid likes it, so I'd better not delete it from iTunes. I’ll just hit shuffle again.

You Spin Me Right Round (Like a Record) by Dead or Alive, yeah, that’s more like it. Next, Slave to Love by Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music, whoo hoo, looks like the iPod is taking me back to the 80’s, big hair and the thin ties. Let’s see what’s next. Well all right, She Runs Hot for Me by Little Village, great song! Which brings us to....ARE YOU KIDDING ME IPOD? It's Donovan singing about his pal the sun again! This is unbelievable, every frickin time!!

Here, I’ll hit shuffle 3 times in a row! Now iPod, you can’t tell me your algorithm won’t let you pick from the 1,000 other songs inside you which are not performed by Donovan! OK, let’s listen..this is good, Bowling Green by the Everly Brothers, their harmony is calming me down already. Next..yay, The Shins and We Will Become Silhouettes, things are looking up. C’mon iPod you can do it, oh sweet! Out of left field, Julie London and You’d Be So Nice to Come Home To, very bachelor pad sexy. Sorry iPod buddy, how did I ever doubt you? And what a blend, you took me right into Playboy in Outer Space by Dada! Ha ha..it looks like I’m finally out of the woods with that....NOOOOOO! I DON'T CARE IF THE STINKING SUN SHINES DOWN ON YOU EACH DAY DONOVAN! HOW THE HELL DOES THIS STUPID SONG KEEP COMING UP?!

You know what, screw this noise, I’ll just skip to the next song! Figures, I have to buy the only iPod in the world that loves Donovan, and.....oh crap, it’s that damn Phil Collins song....

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may have a point. I think the iTunes Shuffle algorhythm is not completely random, it seems to favour your preferred or recently-played songs.

And since you have already listened to that Donovan song three times, expect Shuffle to choose it again.

BTW, why did you even have it?
Andrew Sheppard | 07.01.05 - 12:46 pm | #

12:53 PM  
Blogger DrMax said...

Thanks for the comment Andrew. I was only having a little fun with the shuffle's ability to often choose the one song I don't want to hear. I know I could just take the song off, but then the iPod would win.
DrMax | Homepage | 07.02.05 - 3:05 am | #

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never let the iPod win. Even if it kills you.
Debbie | Homepage | 07.02.05 - 7:55 am | #

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a cell phone, let alone an iPod. And I don't like words that start with lower case letters and are immediately followed by a capitalized letter. But I didn't write to tell you that. I wanted to tell you that you and your Ipod (CORRECT SPELLING) might have it wrong. Isn't the song called "Sunshine Superman"?
Snake | Homepage | 07.03.05 - 1:12 am | #

12:55 PM  
Blogger DrMax said...

Sunshine Superman is one of Donovan's hits Snake, but if you click the link you'll see The Sun is a Very Magic Fellow is also in his repertoire. Apparently he's a big fan of the sun.
DrMax | Homepage | 07.03.05 - 4:55 pm | #

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home