Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Watergate "Deep Throat" Identity Finally Revealed: Actor Hal Holbrook


Actor Hal Holbrook admitted today that he was the mysterious informer “Deep Throat” who helped Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in articles detailing the Watergate scandal. The scandal eventually lead President Nixon to resign from office.

Holbrook, primarily an actor known for roles on stage and in film, also had intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the Nixon White House, “I was doing Mark Twain Tonight! in Washington in the late 60’s when I became aquainted with many of the officials of the Nixon administration. They were all big fans of the one-man show, so they would invite me over and tell me everything that was going on in the Oval Office. Well, I tell you, once I heard of all the shenanigans going on during Nixon’s reelection in ‘72 I knew I had to let somebody know! As Mark Twain said, ‘The citizen who sees his society’s democratic clothes being worn out and does not cry out is not a patriot but a traitor.’”

Holbrook said he contacted Woodward once he saw his initial articles about the Watergate break-in, “This kid seemed to have the right bead on the story so I arranged to meet with him in a dark garage and tell him everything I knew about the Nixon’s illegal activities . I told Bob to tell everybody he was getting his info from some anonymous public official, so I could keep my cover and star in Pueblo as Capt. Lloyd Bucher. Funny story, once I was doing the Mark Twain thing and had to run over in full make-up to tell Woodward to follow the money! Boy, I bet they would have been scratching their heads over at the F.B.I. if they had had pictures of that!”

Holbrook said he knew he had to get the part of Deep Throat in the 1976 motion picture of All the President’s Men, the film adaptation of Woodward and Bernstein’s book about the scandal. “Well, I mean, it was irresistible and a great cover for me! Who would think I would be playing Deep Throat if I was Deep Throat? I did that part for scale, just to make sure they cast me. In some ways, Redford is a much more believable Woodward than the real Woodward.”

Holbrook said he is glad the secret is finally out, “Yeah it was tricky keeping it a secret all these years through Designing Women, Evening Shade and the Perry Mason Mysteries. I’m glad it’s finally out there! I’m thinking of doing a new one-man play later this year, Deep Throat Tonight! Unless I get that reoccurring role as Grandpa on According to Jim, at my age you just can’t turn down series T.V. pay!”

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Hal. Sorry Doc. The Snake has already fessed up.
Snake | Homepage | 06.02.05 - 11:14 am | #

8:42 PM  
Blogger San Diego Dentists said...

Hi: I was looking for information on San Diego dentist and can upon your site. I'm working on a site about San Diego & Tijuana dentists and looking for any good facts that I might be able to incorporate into my site to really provide an in-depth information source. After reading your Blog, I found it interesting, but, it wasn't what I was looking for. Well I'm off again in search for San Diego dentist info.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Spidey said...

Hal Holbrook looks like someone who would know the part very well.

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home